Wednesday 2 August 2023

Recent reads with divine armchair travel settings

 






The German language has it all sussed when it comes to the desire to travel, devoting two words solely to that longing for distant shores: "Wanderlust" (joy / desire to wander) and "Fernweh" (translated as "distance-pain", the ache to travel to distant shores). So if you are suffering from this ailment but are stuck at home and work, why not indulge in some delicious armchair travel? These five books recently ticked all the boxes on my armchair travel list, even though they didn't cure my longing but made me want to buy an airline ticket there and then!


THE HOUSE OF NOW AND THEN by Jo Dixon

 

What a refreshingly good yarn this was! It had a lot of themes I love in a mystery: a remote house that harbours secrets, an old missing person’s case, small town dynamics, new beginnings and a wonderful atmospheric setting.

 

Olivia Hayes is a disgraced social media influencer who has fled to a remote house in the Tasmanian countryside to hide from the public and some toxic people in her life. One day, a stranger turns up on her doorstep looking for information regarding an old missing person’s case connected to the house, which is somehow linked to his recently deceased father. From this point on, the book slowly unravels the old mystery whilst telling Olivia’s story as she tries to start a new life.

 

It's not easy to find a book where both timelines are equally compelling, but I found both stories intriguing and believable. Extra points for delivering a very original finale! All in all, THE HOUSE OF NOW AND THEN was a brilliant debut with enigmatic characters, a divine armchair travel setting and a mystery that had me eagerly reading late into the night to find out all the answers. I can’t wait to read more from this author in future!



 ONE OF THE GIRLS by Lucy Clarke

 

Would you travel to a remote Greek Island with five friends for a bachelorette party? Hell yes! Give me the ticket! Of course, I realise that in the world of fiction I would be sharing the place with someone harbouring a dark secret, someone plotting murder and the rest of the crew following a hidden agenda that will make me wonder why I chose these people as friends in the first place. But that’s exactly why I picked this book up, and it didn’t disappoint on both fronts: the dark secrets and the divine armchair travel setting.

 

Bride-to-be Lexi and her five closest friends have gathered in a luxurious villa on a remote Greek island to celebrate Lexi’s upcoming wedding. Secretly, each and every one of the women is wondering what the vivacious Lexi sees in her straight-as-a-die fiancé, but she seems happy, so that’s all that matters, right? As the women clamour for Lexi’s attention, friendship dynamics are stretched to breaking point and some hidden agendas are revealed.

 

ONE OF THE GIRLS was a light, fun read that followed a fairly typical storyline of a locked room mystery where everyone has a secret and things soon start going wrong. Except that perhaps any of these women could have left at any time, which diluted the tension somewhat. I enjoyed the dynamics between the women and the final reveal, which wasn’t as predictable as I had feared. Best of all was the divine armchair travel to Greece with all the sights and sounds of this picturesque destination. With intriguing dynamics, a perfect setting and enough intrigue to keep you guessing, ONE FO THE GIRLS makes for a perfect holiday read.



BRIGHT AND DEADLY THINGS by Lexie Elliott

 

I’m a sucker for locked room mysteries, and the setting doesn’t get much better than this: a cozy little chalet on a mountain in the French Alps. Elliott wonderfully recreated the remote mountainside location with its obligatory lack of phone reception. The odd group of people, a bunch of science professors and students from Oxford, made for some interesting dynamics and I loved the addition of a creepy element, i.e. the old clock.

 

This book had real potential to be taut, suspenseful and creepy, but the pacing seemed a bit off to me and I felt that the long lead up could have been edited to make the story move a long a bit better. I also wanted more involvement from the old clock! The malice emanating from the clock was such a unique, spooky concept, and the old diary entries from previous visitors to the chalet added a lot of intrigue. Unfortunately, this all occurred in the later half of the book, when I had almost decided to dnf because nothing interesting seemed to be happening. I’m glad I didn’t, because the later part of the story was as action packed and suspenseful as I had expected from the premise of the story. I’m still thinking about the clock and its involvement in proceedings – this is the type of element I love in a mystery! If the first half of the novel had lived up to the later part, the book could easily have made it on my favourite list.

 

BRIGHT AND DEADLY THINGS will appeal to readers who appreciate an atmospheric setting and a locked room mystery that relies heavily on dynamics between people in a thrown-together group. Definitely read this if you want some great armchair travel into the French Alps because the setting is just sublime.



SUN DAMAGE by Sabine Durrant

 

I first fell in love with Durrant’s writing when I read LIE WITH ME in 2016, loving the way she portrayed her flawed, dysfunctional character and how she conjured up a perfect, atmospheric backdrop for her story.

 

SUN DAMAGE features similar themes. Just like her 2016’s Paul Morris counterpart, Ali has made a mess of her life and has no qualms about cheating others out of their hard-earned cash. And yet, once I got past the first few chapters, I could not help but feel for her and found myself firmly on her side as the story unfolded. And then there is the delicious setting in the South of France: the cute bougainvillea shrouded houses, sapphire swimming pools, tiny boulangeries selling coffee and tasty pastries, a hot, languid breeze sweeping in from the South. This was armchair travel at its best!

 

With the same skill she used in LIE WITH ME, the idyllic atmosphere clashed with an escalating threat of tension and danger, keeping me enthralled until the very end. This is all I am willing to say, because SUN DAMAGE is the type of book you best jump into blindly and let it surprise you. I thoroughly enjoyed the audio version of this story, which allowed me to fully immerse myself into the atmosphere (and get my daily step count up by wanting to listen “just a little bit longer” on my walks). A twisty, well-plotted and character driven mystery that makes for the perfect beach or holiday read.



SUMMER FEVER by Kate Riordan

 

I’ve come to the conclusion that sultry, sexual tension novels about married people having affairs aren’t really my thing, so take my three stars purely as a personal enjoyment rating. However, as far as atmospheric, armchair travel settings go, you can’t get much better than this old villa in the Italian countryside, which kept me reading till the end and made me feel like handing in my resignation at work, pack my bags and book a flight to Italy.


No comments:

Post a Comment