Saturday 5 August 2023

Book Review: SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES by Jojo Moyes

 




Title: SOMEONE ELSE’S SHOES

Author:  Jojo Moyes

Read: July 2023

My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 all the stars!


 

Book Description:

 

Who are you when you are forced to walk in someone else’s shoes?

Nisha Cantor lives the globetrotting life of the seriously wealthy, until her husband announces a divorce and cuts her off. Nisha is determined to hang onto her glamorous life. But in the meantime, she must scramble to cope--she doesn’t even have the shoes she was, until a moment ago, standing in.

That’s because Sam Kemp – in the bleakest point of her life – has accidentally taken Nisha’s gym bag. But Sam hardly has time to worry about a lost gym bag--she’s struggling to keep herself and her family afloat. When she tries on Nisha’s six-inch high Christian Louboutin red crocodile shoes, the resulting jolt of confidence that makes her realize something must change—and that thing is herself.


My musings:

 

Let me introduce my feel-good book of 2023! It’s often obvious in the first few pages whether we will love a book, in the way we relate to the characters, and I felt instantly drawn to Sam Kemp and her daily struggles. Even the prickly Nisha Cantor was strangely compelling, perhaps also aided by the wonderful audiobook narration, which gave her quite a unique voice.

 

What would you do if you had to walk in someone else’s shoes for a day (or more), quite literally? After a mix-up at the gym, Sam finds out the hard way as she stumbles off to a stressful work meeting with important clients, teetering precariously on Nisha’s expensive red Louboutin heels.

 

The concept of walking in someone else’s shoes is not new, but taken so literally it made for a most intriguing and very “visual” read. I could picture the two women clearly and forged an instant emotional connection with both of them. I laughed, I cried, my heart full of rage one minute, and full of love and hope the next. Ultimately, the story soothed my soul and set my world back on its right axis – and I really needed that at the time. Moyes writes with the warmth, humour and conviction of a master story teller, and thee wasn’t a moment I didn’t enjoy. I was sad when the book ended, though it was a very satisfying finale!

 

Do yourself a favour and pick up this heart-warming, uplifting story to recharge your batteries and restore your faith in the power of female friendships, new beginnings and discovering your own inner lioness.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment