Sunday 23 May 2021

Book Review: THE PARIS SECRET by Karen Swan

 



Title: THE PARIS SECRET

Author:  Karen Swan

Read: May 2021

My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

 

Book Description:

 

Somewhere along the cobbled streets of Paris, an apartment lies thick with dust and secrets: full of priceless artworks hidden away for decades.

High-flying fine art agent Flora from London, more comfortable with the tension of a million-pound auction than a cosy candlelit dinner for two, is called in to assess these suddenly discovered treasures. As an expert in her field, she must trace the history of each painting and discover who has concealed them for so long.

Thrown in amongst the glamorous Vermeil family as they move between Paris and Antibes, Flora begins to discover that things aren't all that they seem, while back at home her own family is recoiling from a seismic shock. The terse and brooding Xavier Vermeil seems intent on forcing Flora out of his family's affairs - but just what is he hiding?

 

My musings:

 


Missing travel? Karen Swan has become my go-to author if I feel like a virtual saunter to gorgeous European locations. I love the way her stories are so much more than just romances – in THE PARIS SECRET she uncovers an old wartime mystery centred around a beautiful piece of art.

 

At times, reading THE PARIS SECRET I felt like an anthropologist studying a foreign culture, so out of depth did I feel in Flora’s world of the European art scene and the glittery, rich society of the Cote d’ Azur. But unlike other novels where the main character inhabits a totally different social scene and background to mine, I found Flora very relatable and down-to-earth. Swan’s descriptive writing instantly transported me to France as we walked the small alleys of Paris and sunbaked on the beaches of the French Riviera. I was fascinated by the author’s knowledge of the fine art scene and the information about urban explorers (being a country bumpkin I didn’t even know this was a thing!). The wartime mystery surrounding the locked Paris apartment and the mysterious painting was skilfully woven into the story and added depth and mystery to Flora’s quest.

 

History, art, mystery and travel all wrapped into a soft burrito of a sweet romance made THE PARIS SECRET a perfect feel-good holiday read that left a warm glow of happiness behind. The armchair travel component was exquisite and made me feel as if I was “on location”. I look forward to reading more of Swan’s books when I need reminding about the good things in life. Best enjoyed lying in a deckchair with a cold glass of French chardonnay by your side.


No comments:

Post a Comment