Wednesday 19 May 2021

Book Review: THE GOOD SISTER by Sally Hepworth


 

Title: THE GOOD SISTER

Author:  Sally Hepworth

Read: May 2021

My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

 

Book Description:

 

From the outside, everyone might think Fern and Rose are as close as twin sisters can be: Rose is the responsible one and Fern is the quirky one. But the sisters are devoted to one another and Rose has always been Fern's protector from the time they were small.

Fern needed protecting because their mother was a true sociopath who hid her true nature from the world, and only Rose could see it. Fern always saw the good in everyone. Years ago, Fern did something very, very bad. And Rose has never told a soul. When Fern decides to help her sister achieve her heart's desire of having a baby, Rose realizes with growing horror that Fern might make choices that can only have a terrible outcome. What Rose doesn't realize is that Fern is growing more and more aware of the secrets Rose, herself, is keeping. And that their mother might have the last word after all.

 

My musings:

 


I'm not sure why I thought that this book would not be for me. Maybe it was the premise of a main character with a spectrum disorder, a theme that has been insanely popular since the rise to fame of ELEANOR OLIPHANT (but mostly doesn’t even come close to the original). Oh, I thought, and here is yet another domestic noir novel about good and bad sisters. Yawn! But I was wrong! And because my husband loves me to admit that, I will say it again: I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrooooong. Happy now? As it happened, I nearly devoured the whole book all in one sitting during an interstate plane flight, hours of uninterrupted reading bliss. Once I started the story, I had to know how it would end!

Despite all my original doubts, twin 1, Fern, quickly endeared herself to me with her fresh, honest and guileless voice. Twin 2, Rose, makes her own POV known through journal entries, which are subtly different from those of her sister. Hinting at an unhappy, abusive childhood, the foundations of the sisters' relationship are being explored and I found their dynamics fascinating.

In hindsight, I feel that calling this book a domestic thriller or a mystery was a bit misleading as the mystery component formed merely a tiny portion of the story. Instead, we are privy to the fascinating dynamics of a twin relationship that has been twisted out of shape by an unhappy childhood. But was it? Rose’s memories of their upbringing are very different from Fern’s, so which sister is telling the truth? Whilst some of the story was fairly predictable (and I don’t mean that in a bad way), the slow unravelling of the sisters' bond was fascinating to watch and those twists that snuck their way into the story were worth waiting for.

THE GOOD SISTER was a fast and entertaining read I was loathe to put down. Hepworth infuses her story with the subtle  tongue in cheek humour I appreciate so much in Australian fiction and which added an extra enjoyable and unique element to this sister mystery for me. There was drama, a bit of suspense, tension, a touch of romance and a few twists along the way that added a surprise element to the story. I utterly fell in love with Fern and Wally and vacillated between anxiety and warm-and-fuzzy as the story progressed. All in all a very enjoyable read, and I am very grateful to my friend Sarah who insisted that I should give it a go!


No comments:

Post a Comment