Friday 31 May 2019

Book Review: THE TURN OF THE KEY by Ruth Ware

Author: Ruth Ware
Publisher: Gallery / Scout Press
Read: May 2019
Expected publication: 6 August 2019 - available to pre-order now!
My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2


Book Description:


When she stumbles across the ad, she’s looking for something else completely. But it seems like too good an opportunity to miss—a live-in nannying post, with a staggeringly generous salary. And when Rowan Caine arrives at Heatherbrae House, she is smitten—by the luxurious “smart” home fitted out with all modern conveniences, by the beautiful Scottish Highlands, and by this picture-perfect family.

What she doesn’t know is that she’s stepping into a nightmare—one that will end with a child dead and herself in prison awaiting trial for murder.


My musings:


I actually squealed in delight when I received an ARC of Ruth Ware’s latest book, THE TURN OF THE KEY! I have loved her books right from the very first start, and as she is including more and more creepy Gothic elements into her books, I am finding myself happily ensnared in my favourite settings. This time, the novel takes us to a stately old mansion with a dark past, but with a twist: the house has been renovated to include the latest “smart” technology, which turns out to be more sinister than any old haunting could ever achieve on its own. I have only ever read something similar once before, in J.P. Delaney’s THE GIRL BEFORE, which I also loved. In fact, Ware blends quite a few classical elements together to form a completely unique and captivating story: an old creepy mansion with a mysterious past, a nanny who may not be as she seems, a child who is just a little bit “off”, some noises in the night and some supernatural elements that add that special spook factor I so enjoy in mysteries. For me, the blend worked perfectly to make for an addictive read I devoured in one big read-a-thon that saw me sitting up very late at night to finish.

Our main character is Rowan, who has accepted a position as nanny in a stately old refurbished country mansion. The job pays well, allegedly making up for the isolated location of the house and to compel this latest nanny to stay the distance after a few nannies have come and gone in quick succession. Rowan, who thinks herself immune to any old haunting the house could possibly throw at her, or any bad behaviour a child could serve up, is determined to last the distance and cash in on this opportunity. And whilst Rowan is not the most likeable character, and never denies that her motivation is not in the least altruistic, she is really served up a raw deal when she is left alone to look after the children on the very first day whilst both parents traipse off for a week on a work trip. I have worked as a nanny, and I can tell you that no matter what sort of a saint you may be, those children will test the waters and see how far they can push the boundaries. Not to speak of the resentment of being left with a virtual stranger who is taking over the household. No, even with all the money and promises, I did not envy Rowan her job!

Another unique element here is the style in which the story is written. It takes the form of Rowan’s desperate “letter” (a novel length one at that) to her lawyer, begging him to listen to her side of the story as she is waiting in a jail cell for her trial for murder. We know very early on that a child has died and Rowan is the main suspect. But what happened? Is she guilty? Don’t worry, it will become clear soon enough, and the journey to the answer is totally worthwhile!

As said before, I loved the Gothic elements and the spooky atmosphere of Heatherbrae House, which got my heart racing and made me jump every time a branch brushed the side of the house in the wind whilst I snuggled up under the covers reading. Remote, isolated location – tick! Spooky old mansion – tick! Unreliable narrator – tick! Slight supernatural elements that give it some extra creep factor – tick! It’s all there for the taking, which makes this one of my favourite reads by the author yet – although I think I said that with the last few books as well. Ware is a masterful creator of the perfect setting for a spooky mystery: be it a boat, an old beach house, and English manor house or a house in a dark wood. A few paragraphs, and she has teleported me right into the story, which makes her one of my favourite authors today. I recommend that you read it and judge for yourself!


I read this as a buddy read with the fabulous Traveling Sisters Group and it made for a stimulating discussion as we were trying to work out all the answers along the way.



Thank you to Edelweiss and Scout Press for the free electronic copy of this novel and for giving me the opportunity to provide an honest review.



Other books by the author (click on the cover for more info):

In a Dark, Dark Wood The Woman in Cabin 10 The Lying Game The Death of Mrs. Westaway

If you like the house as a character, you may also enjoy:

The Girl Before  The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney 


No comments:

Post a Comment