Tuesday 30 January 2018

Book Review: ALL THE BEAUTIFUL LIES by Peter Swanson

Author: Peter Swanson
Publisher:
William Morrow
Read:
January 2018
Expected publication: 3 April 2018
My Rating: ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ

It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.

Book Description:

Harry Ackerson has always considered his step-mother Alice to be sexy and beautiful, in an “other worldly” way. She has always been kind and attentive, if a little aloof in the last few years.

Days before his college graduation, Alice calls with shocking news. His father is dead and the police think it’s suicide. Devastated, he returns to his father’s home in Maine. There, he and Alice will help one another pick up of the pieces of their lives and uncover what happened to his father.

Shortly after he arrives, Harry meets a mysterious young woman named Grace McGowan. Though she claims to be new to the area, Harry begins to suspect that Grace may not be a complete stranger to his family. But she isn’t the only attractive woman taking an interest in Harry. The sensual Alice is also growing closer, coming on to him in an enticing, clearly sexual way.

Mesmerized by these two women, Harry finds himself falling deeper under their spell. Yet the closer he gets to them, the more isolated he feels, disoriented by a growing fear that both women are hiding dangerous—even deadly—secrets . . . and that neither one is telling the truth.

My musings:

Ever since reading The Kind Worth Killing and Her Every Fear, Peter Swanson has been on my list of authors whose books are must-reads before they have even been written. Imagine my happy-dance when I found out that I had been granted and ARC of All The Beautiful Lies, one of my most anticipated new releases in 2018 (thank you to Edelweiss)!

Swanson’s engaging writing style sucked me in immediately, and I contently settled into what I hoped would be an all-night read-a-thon with thrills and chills galore. This certainly is a dark, dark book! I love the way this author presents his villains in a detached, no-nonsense manner, like peering at them through the glass cover of a specimen jar, turning them over and around to inspect their sociopathic tendencies from all angles in an almost scientific manner. And be warned, because each and every character in this novel is deeply flawed, and not ashamed to present their darker sides to the reader. But where I had a soft spot for Lily, the calculating and somewhat cold-hearted protagonist of A Kind Worth Killing, I struggled to find an endearing quality in Alice, his latest creation. Although her dispassionate reasoning matches that of Lily, and Swanson endows her with a solid background that provides the origin of her sociopathic tendencies, I thought Alice lacked the emotional depth I found in his earlier creations.

The story is set in two different time-frames, “then” and “now”, one part focusing on Alice’s childhood and growing up, the other from the moment Harry finds out that his father has fallen to his death on a lonely coastal cliff path in Maine. It soon becomes obvious that there may be more to Bill’s death than an accident, and this is where the story becomes interesting, with several flawed characters becoming the suspects in what was potentially a brutal murder of a well-liked man. Like me, you will probably have your main suspect pegged very early on, and may find that Swanson has totally blindsighted you – or perhaps other readers make better detectives than I do, because I was very wrong!

So, why the average rating you ask? I know that I will be in the minority here, and it really pains me to admit that I did not enjoy this book nearly as much as I had hoped I would. Despite Swanson’s writing style, which is so perfect for a psychological thriller, and the red herrings that come at you from all angles, I just could not warm to any of the characters. I normally appreciate Swanson’s penchant for exploring the darkest corners of the human psyche, but there were some weird dynamics at play here, with twisted incestuous sexual relationships between characters which I found disturbing and which tarnished the story for me. Perhaps motherhood has made me too prudish for this type of tale, but these details took a lot of enjoyment out of reading a book that may otherwise have been a clever and riveting psychological thriller. 
  

Summary:

If you are a fan of Peter Swanson’s writing, I still encourage you to give this one a go, as it has all the hallmarks of his previous novels – deeply flawed sociopathic protagonists, creeping tension, twists galore and an unexpected ending. Whilst I found that some of the characters’ strange sexual tendencies were disturbing and marred my reading pleasure, I will certainly not be put off enough to eagerly snatch up future books by this author.


Thank you to Edelweiss and William Morrow for the free electronic copy of this novel and for giving me the opportunity to provide an honest review.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment