Friday 20 September 2024

New favourite for 2024: HERE ONE MOMENT by Liane Moriarty

 



Title: HERE ONE MOMENT

Author:  Liane Moriarty

Read: September 2024

Expected publication: out now

My Rating: all the stars! 🌠

 

Book Description (Goodreads):

 

If you knew your future, would you try to fight fate?

Aside from a delay, there will be no problems. The flight will be smooth, it will land safely. Everyone who gets on the plane will get off. But almost all of them will be forever changed.

Because on this ordinary, short, domestic flight, something extraordinary happens. People learn how and when they are going to die. For some, their death is far in the future—age 103!—and they laugh. But for six passengers, their predicted deaths are not far away at all.

How do they know this? There were ostensibly more interesting people on the flight (the bride and groom, the jittery, possibly famous woman, the giant Hemsworth-esque guy who looks like an off-duty superhero, the frazzled, gorgeous flight attendant) but none would become as famous as “The Death Lady.”

Not a single passenger or crew member will later recall noticing her board the plane. She wasn’t exceptionally old or young, rude or polite. She wasn’t drunk or nervous or pregnant. Her appearance and demeanor were unremarkable. But what she did on that flight was truly remarkable.

A few months later, one passenger dies exactly as she predicted. Then two more passengers die, again, as she said they would. Soon no one is thinking this is simply an entertaining story at a cocktail party.

If you were told you only had a certain amount of time left to live, would you do things differently? Would you try to dodge your destiny?


My musings:

 


I just finished reading and had to sit quietly for a little while to collect my thoughts on this heartfelt, poignant story. The thing I LOVE about Moriarty’s books is the way she makes me care about her characters, and HERE ONE MOMENT was a prime example. At work, I caught myself wanting to discuss Sue’s terrible predicted fate, and how Paula could possibly protect little Timmy, and that of course Leo would have to give up work immediately. I remembered just in time that these were just fictional characters, even if they felt so very real to me. At this point, I also want to give credit to Caroline Lee and Geraldine Hakewill for their brilliant audio narration!

 

For a book that heavily featured death and dying, it left me feeling warm and optimistic, even if there were many themes I will undoubtedly ponder for a while. Surely everyone has at one stage contemplated their own mortality, and the things that really matter in the big scheme of things. Perhaps it is a sign of growing up or ageing (or becoming a bit wiser and wearier) that we find it easier to focus on the things that are important to us, as the sand in our hourglass is steadily making its way down the tube. I know that this theme is not new, but what would you do if you knew how long you had to live? Would you change anything? How would you want to spend the time you had left?

 

Sometimes having to keep track of a multitude of characters can dilute their emotional significance, but not so here. I just LOVED these people and found myself caring very deeply about their fate. And as in a magic trick, Moriarty takes it one step further, slowly unveiling the identity of the “death lady” and the events that have led to those fateful hours on the delayed flight. As the novel was steadily nearing the end, I found myself fervently wishing to spend more time with these characters who I felt I knew so intimately by now. To be able to elicit such strong feelings for such a large group of people is proof of the skill of Moriarty’s writing. It offers just the right selection of snapshots out of everyone’s lives that let me fill in the rest and make these fictional characters appear real. I certainly felt like I knew everyone quite intimately by the time the story concluded.

 

I’m not sure what else I can say, except that I loved everything about this book. With just the right balance between intrigue and heart, and a multitude of themes relevant to our times (across a wide range of age groups, demographics and genders) it utterly captivated my attention. I feel that my words are inadequate to describe the book’s emotional impact on me and highly recommend it to anyone who has ever contemplated their own mortality. Such a wonderful, deep and touching read, a definite favourite for me!





No comments:

Post a Comment