Thursday 26 October 2023

Lies and deception: two brilliant mysteries that will make you question everything!

 






JUST ANOTHER MISSING PERSON by Gillian McAllister

 

I loved McAllister’s previous novel WRONG PLACE WRONG TIME, especially its unusual format, and I am happy to report that her latest book also held plenty of surprises.

 

22-year-old Olivia has been reported missing by her housemates after texting one of them for help. CCTV footage from a nearby bar shows her entering a blind alley but never coming out. How could she have just vanished into thin air? Things get even more complicated and tangled when the detective tasked with solving Julia’s case encounters an obstacle that will jeopardise her investigation (not giving any more away here). Told through multiple POVs and social media posts from the missing girl herself, this story turned into a hell of a tangle before the threads finally started to unravel and reveal their secrets.

 

Admittedly, it took me a while to get into the flow of the story, and even though the audiobook version was brilliantly narrated, it probably wasn’t the best format for me, as I missed a few vital clues along the way and was a bit slow to catch on. But once I did, I realised how cleverly plotted this story really was! There was one point in the book where I just stood there, mouth agape, as all the cogs slotted into place – WHAAAAAT???? It was like unwrapping a massive pass-the-parcel and finding you are finally holding that one crucial piece of information that upends all you have believed so far.

 

With flawed and yet complex, enigmatic characters McAllister again explores the length parents will go to to protect their children, whilst delivering one heck of a thriller. I love mysteries that can blindside me, and this one certainly did. I love McAllister’s writing and can’t wait to see what she will come up with next.



NONE OF THISIS TRUE by Lisa Jewell

 

Have you ever met one of your birthday twins, a person born on exactly the same day as you? I remember being at work one day, taking a woman’s details, and it turned out we were born merely an hour apart, albeit in different parts of the globe. A strange bond, nonetheless.

 

Josie Fair is having her 45th birthday dinner with her husband at a local restaurant when she overhears people at a nearby table who are having a merry party for one of their group. As strange coincidences go, this woman, Alix Summers, is also celebrating her 45th birthday. Josie finds out that the two women were not only born on the same day, but also in the same hospital. This chance encounter may have been the end of it, but now that Josie has found Alix, she will not let her go that easily.

 

I admit that stalkers and uninvited houseguests are some of my worst anxiety triggers in thrillers, so this book kept me up all night! As tensions escalated, I had to keep reading until I had all the answers, which was way past my bedtime (I advise to start this book when you have lots of free time).

 

NONE OF THIS IS TRUE is probably one of Jewell’s darkest books and one where she takes the unreliable narrator theme to an extreme (as hinted in the title). As a very seasoned and talented storyteller, she ratcheted up the tension slowly but steadily until it was impossible to put the book down. There were quite a few hair-raising moments (and a few EEEEWWWW ones, too), and I felt like helplessly watching a train speed towards the abyss. Considering this unbearable tension, I felt that the ending lost a bit of steam and felt strangely anti-climatic to me, though overall this did not detract from the unique premise of the story. I loved the podcast and Netflix-series style of the novel, which gave it a very contemporary feel and allowed for short, punchy chapters and different POVs without losing its flow.

 

In summary, NONE OF THIS IS TRUE showcases Jewell’s talent as a storyteller and creator of original storylines. Like other thrillers that rely on untruths and hidden secrets, it’s best to go into this one blind and let it take you on a journey. It certainly kept me enthralled until the very end and not much sleep was to be had until I found out the answers.



No comments:

Post a Comment