Tuesday 24 August 2021

Book Review: FALSE WITNESS by Karin Slaughter

 



Title: FALSE WITNESS

Author:  Karin Slaughter

Read: August 2021

Expected publication: out now

My Rating: 

 

Book Description:

 

AN ORDINARY LIFE

Leigh Coulton has worked hard to build what looks like a normal life. She has a good job as a defence attorney, a daughter doing well in school, and even her divorce is relatively civilised - her life is just as unremarkable as she'd always hoped it would be.

HIDES A DEVASTATING PAST

But Leigh's ordinary life masks a childhood which was far from average... a childhood tarnished by secrets, broken by betrayal, and finally torn apart by a devastating act of violence.

BUT NOW THE PAST IS CATCHING UP

Then a case lands on her desk - defending a wealthy man accused of rape. It's the highest profile case she's ever been given - a case which could transform her career, if she wins. But when she meets the accused, she realises that it's no coincidence that he's chosen her as his attorney. She knows him. And he knows her. More to the point, he knows what happened twenty years ago, and why Leigh has spent two decades running.

AND TIME IS RUNNING OUT

If she can't get him acquitted, she'll lose much more than the case. The only person who can help her is her younger, estranged sister Calli, the last person Leigh would ever want to ask for help. But suddenly she has no choice...



My musings:

 


Let me introduce my latest book hangover! Once I have gathered up the thousand pieces of my broken heart I may be able to read another book, but this gut wrenching story will stay in my mind for a long time to come. It was intense!

 

I have always looked for Slaughter’s books when I was in the mood for a dark, gritty thriller, but in FALSE WITNESS she also managed to sneak past all my defences as sisters Leigh and Callie fight a demon from their past. Not only was there murder, grit and mystery, but the sister relationship was so astutely and tenderly portrayed that it made me choke back tears many times. I also had to fight back an intense loathing for some of the other characters, putting me firmly into the sisters’ corner, no matter the dark secret that has shaped their lives. This roller coaster of emotions defined my reading journey, because every time I thought we were in safe waters I found that a raging waterfall was just around the corner. Talk about an adrenaline fuelled ride!

 

Anyone who has read Slaughter’s other books will know that she never shies away from the brutalities of life. She doesn’t beat around the bush. If you are triggered by anything ugly then this book is definitely not for you. Child abuse, paedophilia, drug addiction, murder, blackmail, guilt, trauma – it’s all there, and more. At times, it’s so violent and disturbing that you want to take a shower and just smell some flowers to get the darkness out of your head. Set in the present time also meant that Slaughter had to tackle the c-word, life in a covid world. It takes a skilled writer to bring the pandemic into her story without making it a main feature of the book, but here we just see people who are living with the reality of the virus, just as we are doing on a daily basis.

 

I can’t really say much more without giving anything away, except that the plot is so cleverly constructed that I fell for each and every red herring. I made my first assumption in the opening chapter and was promptly proven wrong, a theme that continued throughout the whole book. Having been emotionally totally sucked into the story, these moments winded me!

 


Summary:

 


All in all, FALSE WITNESS is the type of dark, gritty story you have come to expect from Karin Slaughter, but it is also full of heart. Her portrayal of the sister relationship between Leigh and Callie is as beautiful as it is heartbreaking. As the sisters battle a dark demon from their past, only their love and loyalty may give them a chance to get out of this alive. It was gut wrenching, graphic and emotionally exhausting but also one of the best thrillers I have read this year.






No comments:

Post a Comment