Thursday 3 June 2021

Book Review: KILL ALL YOUR DARLINGS by David Bell

 




Title: KILL ALL YOUR DARLINGS

Author:  David Bell

Publisher:  Berkley Publishing Group

Read: May 2021

Expected publication: 6 July 2021

My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

 

Book Description:

 

After years of struggling to write following the deaths of his wife and son, English professor Connor Nye publishes his first novel, a thriller about the murder of a young woman.

There's just one problem: Connor didn't write the book.

That’s all you need to know – trust me!



My musings:

 


School, university or college settings have become new favourites in thrillers ever since reading the likes of THEY NEVER LEARN by Layne Fargo and MAGPIE LANE by Lucy Atkins. So I was instantly intrigued by the premise of Bell’s English literature professor who plagiarises the novel of one of his missing-believed-dead student. However, he may not have been so eager to embark on this fraudulent path to literary success if he had known the consequences! I will leave it at that, because the less you know, the more you will enjoy the many twists and turns in this clever novel.

 

I love books that steer you in multiple directions like an out-of-control three-wheeled racing car, screeching around blind corners as if the devil was in pursuit. Just as I thought we were on the highway to truth, we turned into yet another dark alley. I saw in hindsight how cleverly Bell has laid all his little traps, from Connor’s past history to the mystery appearance of yet another student character, who initially plays a peripheral role. Like a spider intricately weaving its web, Bell drew me in slowly and hooked me totally until I knew all the answers. And as the web tightened around Connor, the tension increased – what should he do? Admit to the plagiarism and lose his job, his reputation and the trust of his friends and colleagues, or become the suspect in a murder case? Maybe you think that this is an easy answer , because isn’t he a cheat and a liar? Well, yes, BUT ... there is so much more to the story here.

 

I’m already blabbing too much, so I will cut this short: KILL ALL YOUR DARLINGS is a twisty, multi-layered mystery that will not only blindside you with each and every one of its twists and turns, but also present a true ethical dilemma or two. With an enigmatic and yet troubled lead character, Bell will take you on a journey you won’t want to exit until all is revealed. The college setting added an extra touch I very much enjoyed. Recommended to readers who love a twisty mystery with a bunch of characters who all have something to hide.

 

 


Thank you to Netgalley and Berkley for the free electronic copy of this novel and for giving me the opportunity to provide an honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment