Friday 5 March 2021

Book Review: MOTHER MAY I by Joshilyn Jackson


Title: MOTHER MAY I

Author:  Joshilyn Jackson

Read: February 2021

Expected publication:  William Morrow 6 April 2021 / Bloomsbury Publishing 13 May 2021

My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2

 


Book Description:

 

Growing up poor in rural Georgia, Bree Cabbat was warned by her single mother that the world was a dark and scary place. Bree rejected her mother’s fearful outlook, and life has proved her right. Having married into a family with wealth, power, and connections, Bree now has all a woman could ever dream of: a loving lawyer husband, two talented teenage daughters, a new baby boy, a gorgeous home, and every opportunity in the world. Until the day her baby is taken and Bree’s world falls apart. How far will she go to save her child?


What attracted me to this book:

 

I really loved Joshilyn Jackson’s previous novel NEVER HAVE I EVER, so I had high hopes for this one. I’m happy to report that I was not disappointed!



My musings:

 


As with NEVER HAVE I EVER, the strength of the story lay in its characters. Similarly to Amy, main protagonist of the author’s previous book, Bree Cabbat seems to be an ordinary cookie-baking and playdate-organising housewife and mother of three. Having married a wealthy husband, she almost came across as a bit sheltered and pampered, but that initial judgement proved to be wrong once her inner mumma-bear was called into action as she is facing a mother’s worst nightmare: her baby son’s abduction during her daughter’s dance rehearsal. What follows is a suspenseful tale of obsession, revenge and the length we will go to to protect our family. As with most mysteries, it is best if you go into this one blindly, so I won’t be giving much away in regards to the plot, other than the advice not to be fooled by its initial sedate pacing. As the tension mounted and Bree must confront all her inner demons, the story marched mercilessly towards its explosive finale.

 

Ultimately, all characters managed to surprise me, which doesn’t happen very often. Especially Bree, the seemingly privileged housewife, whose own past turned out to be far from sheltered and who soon proved that she could be fierce and fearless when the situation warranted it. MOTHER MAY I is one of those stories where you are being challenged to examine your own inner demons and preconceptions and ask yourself: what would I do in Bree’s situation? How would I react? What should she have done? As Bree goes had on head with her son’s abductor, we also get to know her a bit better, and I really warmed to her. Furthermore, kudos to any author who can make her readers feel empathy for the villains in her story! As the ugly truth was revealed, there were plenty of surprises in store, and no one was quite as black-and-white as they seemed in the beginning.

 

I love nothing better than a mystery that can surprise me, and MOTHER MAY I did just that. There were many themes that prompted reflection, especially regarding privilege and power and how an event that some may write off as a small misdemeanour has the power to destroy someone else’s life. And whilst some aspects of the ending didn’t totally gel with me, there was also one very decent twist that had me staring open-mouthed at the pages, not quite believing what I had just read.

 


Summary:

 


If you love a good character driven mystery that features family secrets, obsession, revenge and a race against the clock to save your child, then this book is definitely for you. I admit that I was a bit dubious as to whether another story about child abduction would be able to wow, but the author soon moved away from the well trodden paths and carved out her own tracks that made for a cracking good read. I love thrillers that also tackle darker themes that prompt reflection and challenge my own preconceptions, whilst also being utterly addictive and entertaining. I can’t wait to read more from this author in future!

 

 

 

Thank you to the publishers for the free electronic copy of this novel and for giving me the opportunity to provide an honest review.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment