Wednesday 17 February 2021

Two books I couldn't put down: THE PUSH by Ashley Audrain and THE FOUR WINDS by Kristin Hannah

 


THE PUSH by Ashley Audrain


Title: THE PUSH

Author:  Ashley Audrain

Read: February 2021

Expected publication: out now

My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2

 

Book Description:

 

Blythe Connor is determined that she will be the warm, comforting mother to her new baby Violet that she herself never had.

But in the thick of motherhood’s exhausting early days, Blythe becomes convinced that something is wrong with her daughter–she doesn’t behave like most children do.

Or is it all in Blythe’s head? Her husband, Fox, says she’s imagining things. The more Fox dismisses her fears, the more Blythe begins to question her own sanity, and the more we begin to question what Blythe is telling us about her life as well.

Then their son Sam is born–and with him, Blythe has the blissful connection she’d always imagined with her child. Even Violet seems to love her little brother. But when life as they know it is changed in an instant, the devastating fall-out forces Blythe to face the truth.

The Push is a tour de force you will read in a sitting, an utterly immersive novel that will challenge everything you think you know about motherhood, about what we owe our children, and what it feels like when women are not believed.

 

My musings:

 


I am emotionally destroyed right now! This book broke my heart into a million pieces, and freaked me out a bit as well. THE PUSH definitely had some WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN vibes, one of the most disturbing books I have ever read. Nature vs nurture, motherhood, marriage, the legacy of abuse and neglect, it was all there. presented in Audrain’s modern tale that swept me along in a tide of dread and suspense. The undercurrent of menace and danger was so strong at times that I almost had to put the book down to give myself a break, and yet couldn’t tear myself away.

 

I can see why this book got so many rave reviews and hype on social media. Short and punchy chapters and multiple POVs make THE PUSH a fast and compulsive read. “Just one more chapter” seems doable, until you realise you’ve read twenty of them and it’s long after midnight and you still can’t put the book down. Blythe’s voice will resonate with mothers everywhere, because motherhood is not all milk and honey and rose tinted glasses. It’s often hard work, and can seem exhausting and thankless.

 

“You used to care about me as a person—my happiness, the things that made me thrive. Now I was a service provider. You didn’t see me as a woman. I was just the mother of your child.”

 

It’s even tougher if you have never experienced the loving, nurturing side of motherhood when growing up, and neither Blythe nor her mother Cecilia have lived happy childhoods. The legacy of Etta’s abuse and neglects continues with Cecilia’s indifference towards her daughter Blythe, and in turn, with Blythe’s difficulties in bonding with Violet. Blythe’s voice, told entirely in the second person as she is speaking to her husband Fox, is open and often brutally honest when it comes to discussing the difficulties of motherhood.

 

Most mothers will remember that first moment of holding their first newborn, but from here the journey can be vastly different. What if you don’t immediately fall in love with your child? What if motherhood seems like a constant struggle, and yet everyone else around you seems to be sailing through it and loving the journey? What if you have no one to talk to about your real feelings, your fears, the heavy weight of expectations crushing you? What if your partner does not understand any of your concerns, and you feel your marriage slowly disintegrating under the strain? And worst of all, what if you’re afraid of your own child and what you think them to be capable of, but everyone else dismisses your concerns? There are so many topics Audrain touches on in her novel, and I related to quite a few of them. But most of all, I was quickly sucked into the maelstrom of ever mounting dread and danger as the story progressed.  With good reason, because the heartbreak that followed left me totally drained and hollow.

 

“A mother’s heart breaks a million ways in her lifetime.”

 


Summary:

 


In summary, Audrain’s book was so much more than the psychological thriller I had expected. If her examination of the different faces of motherhood was not enough, there is also the whole nature vs nurture debate and of course the one question that will remain on your lips as you turn the last page – which I will not mention here because I am not going to spoil this for you. Just go and read THE PUSH today, you won’t regret it. It’s honest, it’s gritty and it’s deeply disturbing. I freaking loved it!





THE FOUR WINDS by Kristin Hannah


Title: THE FOUR WINDS

Author:  Kristin Hannah

Publisher:  Pan Macmillan

Read: February 2021

Expected publication: out now

My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2

 

Book Description:

 

Texas, 1934. Millions are out of work and a drought has broken the Great Plains. Farmers are fighting to keep their land and their livelihoods as the crops are failing, the water is drying up, and dust threatens to bury them all. One of the darkest periods of the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl era, has arrived with a vengeance.

In this uncertain and dangerous time, Elsa Martinelli—like so many of her neighbors—must make an agonizing choice: fight for the land she loves or go west, to California, in search of a better life. The Four Winds is an indelible portrait of America and the American Dream, as seen through the eyes of one indomitable woman whose courage and sacrifice will come to define a generation.



My musings:

 


What an utterly captivating, heart-wrenching story this was! It’s been a while since I devoured a big book in a couple of sittings, totally neglecting reality because I felt transported into the world of my fictional characters.

 

Ever since reading Steinbeck’s THE GRAPES OF WRATH, I have been fascinated with the era of the Great Depression in fiction. There is something about people overcoming hardship and adversity that always speaks to me as a reader and inspires me, and this could not come at a better time than during a global pandemic. It is also a reality check, because compared to Elsa Martinelli’s problems, mine appear miniscule in comparison!

 

Elsa Martinelli is the kind of strong female character who drives a story. Battling her whole life with adversity, she is yet determined to overcome all odds through sheer hard work and courage. Strangely, Elsa does not think of herself as courageous, even as she slaves away day and night through drought conditions and dust storms to keep her kids fed and clothes. Or when her husband up and leaves the family, abandoning Elsa to fend for herself and her children. Or when she has to uproot her family to travel to the other side of the country in search of a better future and to save her son’s life – a woman on her own in a time when women were only viewed as fit to care for the household, not make heroic journeys in dangerous conditions in the hope for a better future. Elsa is representative of all the tough women of the depression era, keeping their kids fed and clothed and putting on a brave face - an inspiration to anyone who has ever doubted their own resilience. And even when I wanted to yell at her at times and tell her to just think of her own needs for once and see her own worth, she was always the constant force driving the book towards its finale. The best thing was to watch Elsa grow as a woman – from a young girls with little confidence and self-worth, to wife and mother still striving to be loved, to fierce mumma lion when her kids’ lives were at stake.


“It wasn’t the fear that mattered in life. It was the choices made when you were afraid. You were brave because of your fear, not in spite of it.”

 

If you feel slightly intimidated by the book’s whopping 464 pages, let me assure you that I would happily have read 464 more to keep following the Martinelli family on their journey. As inspiring as the fictional characters were, as valuable was the rest of the story as a history lesson. From the terrible fate of the farmers in the dust bowl during the lean years of the 1930s, to the way the “land of milk and honey” treated the migrants flocking west for a better life. History repeats itself, and there are many parallels to be drawn to present times, which make the story even more compelling.

 

As the story progressed, I went through a whole palette of emotions: I laughed, I cried, I was livid with outrage. At the end, I was an emotional wreck, and yet did not want the book to end. The only thing I usually find a bit over the top with KH books is the melodrama towards the end of her novels, and if you read this one you will know it when you get there. It didn’t take away my overall reading pleasure though, and I guess it did allow the story to end where it did.

 

 


Summary:

 


All in all, THE FOUR WINDS was the type of historical fiction I love, with an atmospheric setting and true to life characters that allowed for time travel to another era. It was a story I got totally lost in, and I loved the journey even though it ripped my heart out and ground it into the dirt until I was an emotional wreck. Lovers of historical fiction or books with courageous, compelling female characters should definitely not miss this one!

 

  

 

Thank you to Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for the free electronic copy of this novel and for giving me the opportunity to provide an honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment