Thursday 17 December 2020

Book Review: IN A HOLIDAZE by Christina Lauren

 


Title: IN A HOLIDAZE

Author:  Christina Lauren

Read: December 2020

Expected publication: out now

My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

 


Book Description:

 

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…but not for Maelyn Jones. She’s living with her parents, hates her going-nowhere job, and has just made a romantic error of epic proportions.

But perhaps worst of all, this is the last Christmas Mae will be at her favorite place in the world—the snowy Utah cabin where she and her family have spent every holiday since she was born, along with two other beloved families. Mentally melting down as she drives away from the cabin for the final time, Mae throws out what she thinks is a simple plea to the universe: Please. Show me what will make me happy.

The next thing she knows, tires screech and metal collides, everything goes black. But when Mae gasps awake…she’s on an airplane bound for Utah, where she begins the same holiday all over again. With one hilarious disaster after another sending her back to the plane, Mae must figure out how to break free of the strange time loop—and finally get her true love under the mistletoe.

Jam-packed with yuletide cheer, an unforgettable cast of characters, and Christina Lauren’s trademark “downright hilarious” (Helen Hoang, author of The Bride Test) hijinks, this swoon-worthy romantic read will make you believe in the power of wishes and the magic of the holidays.




My musings:

 


I don’t normally read romance. Not ever. But hey, who can’t do with a little bit of Christmas magic? Somehow Christina Lauren managed to channel my inner 26-year-old hungry for some love, and push aside the grumpy old me who craves murder and suspense and scoffs at any hint of romance. This book was a perfect escape from reality: sweet, hopeful and innocent, where bad things may happen but good always wins out and everyone finds love in the end. It comes as a surprise to me, too, when I say that I really enjoyed it. And was that a little tear running down my face when Mae ....? nope, no spoilers!

 

I think everyone who believes in Christmas magic will enjoy time in this snowy little cabin with a bunch of friends and family who may have had their share of tragedy and drama but just like hanging out together. I loved the descriptions of the Christmas traditions that have kept this group of people united for years, and I would have loved to sit in their midst near the fire sipping hot cocoa and listen to their happy bickering. It was all so very wholesome! Perhaps it channelled some deeply buried memories of Christmases past when our extended family came together for a feast and gift giving, and there was still magic in the season for little innocent me. Or maybe it was the longing for such carefree happy days that instantly drew me to the story. Whatever it was, it worked for me, and the lasting happy glow after the last page had been turned renewed my faith in the magic of Christmas, and the love of family and friends as the true meaning of the season. Does that sound soppy?

 

I have heard some readers complain that the time travel / groundhog day element was not sufficiently explained in the story, and thought that the petty, absolutely-can’t-suspend-disbelief me would surely stumble over that hurdle as well. But-surprise! It didn’t bother me. To be honest, who can really pull off time travel in a way that makes sense? Apart from Stephen King’s novel 11/22/63, I have never read any story that explained that element well enough that it was believable, so I didn’t even try. And it all worked, in a weird, Christmas-magicy sort of way.

 

 


Summary:



Long story short, I really enjoyed this story, loose plot ends and all, and the atmospheric, snowy cabin setting really made for the perfect Christmassy read. And whilst I don’t think romance will ever be my go-to genre, it made for a lovely escape. Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment