Friday 19 June 2020

Book Review: HIS & HERS by Alice Feeney


Title: HIS & HERS
Author: Alice Feeney
Publisher: HQ Fiction
Read: June 2020
Expected publication: out now
My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟


“Sometimes I think I am the unreliable narrator of my own life. Sometimes I think we all are.”

 


Book Description:


If there are two sides to every story, someone is always lying…


Jack: Three words to describe my wife: Beautiful. Ambitious. Unforgiving.


Anna: I only need one word to describe my husband: Liar.


When a woman is murdered in Blackdown village, newsreader Anna Andrews is reluctant to cover the case. Anna’s ex-husband, DCI Jack Harper, is suspicious of her involvement, until he becomes a suspect in his own murder investigation.


Someone is lying, and some secrets are worth killing to keep.

 

What attracted me to this book:

 

After thoroughly enjoying Alice Feeney’s SOMETIMES I LIE, an original and clever thriller which ending totally floored me, I was pleased to read an endorsement on the back of her latest book that stated: “You will never guess the ending.” Game on! I should have known that I wouldn’t stand a chance against this master of plot twists, but it was a lot of fun trying.

  

My musings:

 

There is his story, and her story, and then there is the truth. Fallen from grace BBC presenter Anna Andrews and police officer Jack Harper are both somehow tangled up with the brutal murder of a young woman in a local nature reserve. As they each tell their version of the story, which is playing out like a frantic tennis game between two evenly matched adversaries who are both determined to last the distance, we soon get to know that someone has to be lying. And who is the third voice, the killer, who is really enjoying wreaking his / her revenge?

 

At the 60% mark I thought I had it all worked out. Well, let’s say I had three theories, one more fantastical than the other, and I was convinced that one of them had to be right. Was it? Of course not! In the frenzied endgame, with the plot bouncing all over the place so fast that I was experiencing vertigo from trying to keep my eye on the ball, the final reveal came like a lightning bolt out of the blue for me – bam! Well, I certainly hadn’t expected THAT! 

 

Summary:

 

I am not going to say any more. If you love a good twisty thriller with flawed and yet somehow enigmatic characters, and like to pitch your own armchair detective powers against a master of the killer plot twist, then this is just the right book for you. Fast paced, entertaining and extremely readable, HIS AND HERS made for a great weekend of reading. I can’t wait to see what the author will come up with next!

 


Thank you to HQ Fiction for the free copy of this novel and for giving me the opportunity to provide an honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment