Monday 30 March 2020

Mini Review: THE SURPRISING POWER OF A GOOD DUMPLING by Wai Chim

Author: Wai Chim
Read: March 2020


I got this gorgeous copy of THE SURPRISING POWER OF A GOOD DUMPLING in the #authorsforfireys auction back in January (how long ago this seems now!). Author Wai Chim had generously donated hand painted copies to raise money for victims of the terrible bushfires in NSW and Victoria. .

With a title like this, I was hoping for a feel good book that would take me on a journey. Who doesn't love a good dumpling? And I was right: the story is fresh and warm and life affirming, whilst still tackling important issues like mental health and culture. Anna, the main protagonist, is a sixteen year old girl from a Chinese immigrant family who is trying to look after her siblings and hold her family together as her mother stays in bed most days, afflicted by an undiagnosed mental illness.

I loved Anna, who is warm and caring whilst trying to navigate her way in the world like any other teenager. Her voice was fresh and authentic and easy to relate to, even though I don’t often read YA. I really appreciate books that can balance a feel good vibe with an important message, and this one did just that. The book got me out of a terrible reading slump and I am so happy I read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment