Monday 3 February 2020

Book Review: THE OTHER MRS by Mary Kubica


Title: THE OTHER MRS
Author: Mary Kubica
Publisher: Park Row
Read: December 2019
Expected publication: 18 February 2020
My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟1/2


Book Description:


Sadie and Will Foust have only just moved their family from bustling Chicago to small-town Maine when their neighbor Morgan Baines is found dead in her home. The murder rocks their tiny coastal island, but no one is more shaken than Sadie.

But it’s not just Morgan’s death that has Sadie on edge. And as the eyes of suspicion turn toward the new family in town, Sadie is drawn deeper into the mystery of what really happened that dark and deadly night. But Sadie must be careful, for the more she discovers about Mrs. Baines, the more she begins to realize just how much she has to lose if the truth ever comes to light.

My musings:


If you have ever read any of Mary Kubica’s books, you will know that she is a master at creating the illusion of ordinary, believable characters who go about their daily lives, until something extraordinary happens, like a splash of icy water in your face on waking. She knows just the right bait to get you hooked, to lull you into a false sense of security, make you step right up to the edge of the abyss – still trusting, believing the lies – and then push you off the edge! By the time you realise your mistake and get the slightest inkling of suspicion, you are already doomed.

I am going to keep this really short, because every psychological thriller relies on embarking the journey into the unknown, and I am not about to spoil this treat for you! Let’s just give you a small hint that it will soon become obvious to you that the ordinary family that just moved next door in this peaceful Maine neighbourhood may harbour a few secrets. From here on follows the same twisty roller coaster ride I have come to expect from this author, and I enjoyed every crazy turn. I admit that the ending didn’t totally surprise me, and it was probably my only disappointment with the story, but this may have something to do with my oversaturation with psychological thrillers last year.


In summary, if you like a twisty psychological thriller full of surprises and don’t mind a bunch of unlikeable characters who are all a bit tainted, and are able to suspend disbelief, then this one should be on your radar. Even though PRETTY BABY is still my favourite Kubica book, I found this one an entertaining read. Mary Kubica is firmly cemented on my list of auto-buy authors and I look forward to seeing what the author comes up with next.


Thank you to Edelweiss and Park Row for the free electronic copy of this novel and for giving me the opportunity to provide an honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment