Friday 25 October 2019

Book Review: GRACE'S TABLE by Sally Piper

Title: GRACE'S TABLE
Author: Sally Piper
Publisher: Legend Press
Read: October 2019
Expected publication: out now
My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟


Book Description:


Grace had not had twelve people at her table for a while. This wasn’t the kind of family who shared regular Sunday meals. But you don’t turn 70 every day.

As her friends and family arrive for lunch, memories are rekindled but not all of them are welcome. As the meal is served, it becomes clear that events of the past have left their mark on everyone at the table in vastly different ways. Grace is reminded that age is no guarantee of wisdom and there is much still to learn from the young at heart. As the family finally confront a shocking event in their past, Grace is forced to face her own shortcomings as a parent and wife and left to contemplate the ways in which grief and regret have resonated through her life.

This moving and often funny novel dissects the lives of women over three generations, explores the pull and power of memory and celebrates the triumph of endurance.

My musings:


I’m not going to lie, it took me several attempts at this book until I got into it, as I initially found it off to a really slow start. Sometimes that’s ok, and other times I need an instant attention grabber to keep me interested. But I am so glad I persevered, because GRACE’S TABLE turned out to be a deeply reflective journey for me that made me ponder family, marriage and life in general.

Basically, GRACE’S TABLE revolves around Grace, who is celebrating her 70th birthday by hosting a dinner for her family in her home. As the blurb states:”This wasn’t the kind of family who shared regular Sunday meals.” Interesting - why? As her children, grandchildren and closest friends come together, some old family memories come to the surface that may explain the rift between Grace and her adult children.

As I close this book and reflect on its message, I still feel deeply saddened for Grace. She knew passion once, but as a young woman growing up in conservative small-town Australia, she ended up with the sort of husband everyone approved of but who ultimately did not make her happy. In fact, reading about Grace’s marriage awakened a rage in me that obviously touched some raw spot, and I was instantly grateful that my generation enjoyed so much more freedom of choice when it came to choosing a life partner. As Grace reflects back on her life, I could see the confident and passionate young woman and nurse becoming stifled by an ill-suited partner who would soon suffocate any sense of hope and dreams she had ever had, turning her into a dutiful but unhappy mother and wife. On the other hand, Des, Grace’s husband, was probably as much of a product of his time as Grace was, and in a way I could see my grandparents’ roles reflected in both characters, living up to the expectations of their era dutifully, losing a little bit of themselves along the way. I am not excusing Des’ constant bullying, from dictating what foods Grace was allowed to cook to expecting her to bow to his every wish, but sadly, this too often was the reality women found themselves in during that era. It was through Grace’s fond memories of her Dad that we saw how much Grace suffered, even though she may have seen him through the rose-tinted glasses of a daughter rather than a wife.

When Grace’s life is derailed by a terrible tragedy, it is little surprise that it fragments the family for good. It was at this point in the book that I felt like letting out a scream of raw pain, because Piper brings to life one of the most horrific things a woman would ever have to endure. I’m not about to give spoilers, but be prepared! At this point, I felt truly invested in Grace’s story, and it will be an image that will stay with me in all its horror.


Also interesting was Grace’s relationship with her daughter Susan. Susan was close to her father, and still resents her mother for not loving him (children can always tell), and for her emotional absence after the trauma she suffered. These were such complex family relationships, and I felt that I would have loved to discuss it all with another reader! Through Grace’s relationships with the different members of her family and her closest friends, we become privy to the real Grace, and it was this aspect of the book that ultimately made me glad I finished it.


Summary:


If you like stories exploring the complexities of family relationships, then this one should definitely be on your list. It is a slow, character-driven story that takes a bit to get going, but once you are in Grace’s head you will appreciate the foundations Piper has laid here for her story. My only regret is not having read this with a book buddy so we could discuss it, as there was much to reflect upon. Which is the very reason I would recommend GRACE’S TABLE as a book club or buddy read. Beautifully written and very reflective! 


Thank you to Netgalley and Legend Press  for the free electronic copy of this novel and for giving me the opportunity to provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment