Thursday 15 November 2018

Book Review: THE LEGACY (CHILDREN'S HOUSE #1) by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir


Title: The Legacy
Author: Yrsa Sigurðardóttir
Read: November 2018
Expected publication: out now
My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 all the stars!


Book Description:


The Legacy is the first installment in a fantastic new series featuring the psychologist Freyja and the police officer Huldar.

The only person who might have the answers to a baffling murder case is the victim’s seven-year-old daughter, found hiding in the room where her mother died. And she’s not talking.

Newly-promoted, out of his depth, detective Huldar turns to Freyja for her expertise with traumatized young people. Freyja, who distrusts the police in general and Huldar in particular, isn’t best pleased. But she’s determined to keep little Margret safe.

It may prove tricky. The killer is leaving them strange clues, but can they crack the code? And if they do, will they be next?

My musings:


I can hardly contain my praise for this book – it’s been a long time since I have felt so excited over a new crime series! Bringing to mind the way all cogs fell nicely into place when I discovered the first book of some of my other favourite series, like Tana French, Sharon Bolton or Nicci French, knowing I was settling in for a binge-fest of many more books yet to come. It’s hard to believe that I have not come across any of Yrsa Sigurdardottir’s books before, seeing how this one ticked absolutely all the boxes of what makes a perfect read for me. Firstly, an atmospheric setting in Iceland – even though Reykjavik may not be remote for Icelanders, it still fell into that category for this reader from West Oz! Then there are the two main characters, whose flaws made them all the more likeable, with interesting dynamics between them that piqued my curiosity as to how this would develop in future books. And of course the hunt for the murderer, brutal and original like only Nordic Noir seems to be able to deliver with such conviction and thrill. I have been led to believe that Iceland is a peaceful country with few murders, so the credit must go solely to the author’s imagination here (even though she may be in some trouble with the Iceland tourism commission).

Whilst The Legacy could probably be described as a police procedural, it is so much more. Freyja, one of the main protagonists, is a child psychologist, and added a whole new dimension to the mystery for me. I found this whole aspect of the investigation utterly fascinating, and the concept of 7-year-old Margret being the witness to her mother’s murder tugged on my heartstrings. Sigurdardottir has a knack of making all her characters somewhat vulnerable and likeable, even her deeply flawed ones, so I felt totally emotionally invested in the story the whole time, despite the shifting POVs (which is not an easy thing to achieve in a novel). Having Karl’s story as a sideline to the police investigation, with the threads eventually coming together, worked really well, providing a different perspective and added depth to the novel. I loved the way the author ratcheted up the tension and suspense by including small details, like the unexplained noise in Karl’s basement or Molly’s injury (serving as an ominous foreshadowing). Also, I spent way too much time trying to crack the numerical code of the sinister radio transmissions, failing miserably (no surprise there, it was way too clever!).

I will not go into the story any more deeply, as it is best read without any preconceptions or spoilers – except to say that I loved every minute of it. So much that I immediately grabbed Book 2 of the series after finishing this one, and was seriously contemplating taking lessons in Icelandic to be able to read the third book, which sadly has not been translated into English yet. Failing this, I am anticipating a nail-biting wait for a new book to come out!


Summary:


In summary, The Legacy is an utterly addictive, binge-worthy first book of what I hope will be a looooong series. I am already halfway through the next book, eagerly devouring the story of Freyja and Huldar’s next case. Very highly recommended to lovers of Scandi Noir, it doesn’t get any better than this!


Image result for 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment